05 Jan Social Media vs. Traditional Marketing
In the battle between social media and traditional marketing, social media is coming out on top. However, both can be useful, as long as you understand their limitations. Most companies find a balance between the two and integrate traditional and social media to maximize exposure and opportunities.
After many years of using traditional marketing, why would a business or brand decide to use social media? How do they know if it’s right for them? It is definitely right if their needs/desires/limitations include:
- Having a tight budget
- Wanting to build a community around their brand and products
- Wanting to get the attention of customers around the clock
- Needing to get the message to potential customers quickly
Social marketing is the latest method of buying and selling online. It solves a lot of the problems that traditional advertising has to deal with. That’s why it’s growing so quickly, and fast becoming the preferred form of marketing.
- Much higher conversion ratios. Because all social marketing can be tracked and adjusted, people respond to it more over time. In other words the return on investment is huge. The more people that like a business, the more money coming in!
- Community building. Ask any large business person, and they’ll tell you that more than half of their income comes from repeat sales. Social marketing builds communities around brands, which drastically increases repeat sales.
- Social marketing relies on customers being highly interactive on the internet. If a customer doesn’t use the internet often, or at all – you may lose them as a client.
In the battle for supremacy, traditional marketing is falling behind, but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored. Businesses still need real world promotions. The trick is to spend more on social marketing, now that it’s been proven to be more effective! To strike a good balance between these two forms, the 80/20 rule can apply. Invest in 80% social marketing, and 20% traditional marketing. Keep traditional advertising in print though – multimedia like videos, are much more lucrative and effective online.
Want to know how you can make your business successful with social media? Contact us at Spitfire Social. It only takes a spark, and we know how to light the fire!